The Ultimate List For 2014: #4 Read More

As a self-proclaimed "bibliomaniac," I have no issue with number four on the Ultimate List.

As long as I can remember, I've been an avid reader.  
We moved around a lot when I was a child, so books became my refuge, my loyal friends.

"I was raised among books, making invisible friends in pages that seemed cast from dust and whose smell I carry on my hands to this day."  ~Carlos Ruiz Zafon

However, reading hasn't been as much of a priority in the last couple of years, likely due to the time I spend on the computer.  
Even belonging to a book club hasn't inspired me like it used to.  
Don't get me wrong, we've read some wonderful books and I've enjoyed them, but I used to read at least a book a week before.
That is all going to change in 2014!

"It is likely I will die next to a pile of things I was meaning to read."  ~Lemony Snicket

In fact, I'm on a roll right now!
I read an interesting article which led me to an amazing book that I read, which led me to another similar book which I'm reading, which will lead me to a book that is sitting, waiting for me to read.
Kind of a trilogy if you will about a subject I never would have been interested in.  North Korea...

"The more you read, the more things you will know.  The more that you learn, the more places you will go."  ~Dr. Seuss

That's the thing with books.
They inspire us, they educate us, they open up our minds to worlds we could never know about otherwise...


...they take us back in time or into the future.
To lands across the ocean or out in space.

An adventure is awaiting.
Just open the page!
If you're also looking to read more in 2014, I have a few recommendations to get you started.

"One sure window into a person's soul is his reading list."  ~Mary Tabor

The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt is a big, juicy, ambitious novel that I could not put down.
It was our last R.E.A.D. Bookclub choice, and it held me until the very end.  Amazon named it the Number One Book in 2013!

I just finished this amazing book about the only person born in a North Korean concentration camp who escaped and lived to tell about it.
I normally do not read non-fiction, but this man's story of survival is amazing.

I'm in the middle of this one.  Another non-fiction, it's a book about ordinary people trying to survive in North Korea.
It's a great supplement to the book above.

 
This book is waiting for me to read.
A Pulitzer Prize winning novel about, you guessed it, North Korea.

And finally, this is our current R.E.A.D. Bookclub choice.
A book about ordinary lives in a fictitious Colorado town.
I'm finding it very boring, but am hanging it there.
Perhaps, the lives depicted here pale in comparison to the lives I'm reading about in "Nothing To Envy."

 Now I want to hear your recommendations.
What books are on your nightstand, waiting to be read?

Do you also want to read more books in 2014?
Well then, let's do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment