Got Lilacs?

Lilacs are considered the harbingers of spring, so with my one and only lilac bush in full bloom, I guess it's safe to say "spring has sprung!

Lilacs, according to Greek mythology began with the beautiful nymph Syrniga. Pan, the god of forests became captivated with her beauty and chased the frighted Syringa through the forest.  She turned herself into a lilac bush to escape him!  That's why Syringa is the botanical name for lilac.

According to the "Language of Flowers," purple lilacs symbolize the beginning of love.
 White lilacs symbolize the innocence of youth.

 All I know, is that I love lilacs!
I love to cut them and make arrangements for the dining room table.

I like to fill all my little jugs with lilacs and place them in every room, filling the house with their heavenly scent.

And they are my go-to flower for Easter and spring tablescapes.

"Go down to Kew in lilac-time, in lilac-time, in lilac-time;
  Go down to Kew in lilac-time (it isn't far from London).
    And you shall wander hand in hand with love in summer's wonderland;
      Go down to Kew in lilac-time (it isn't far from London)."  ~Alfred Noyes

Got Lilacs?

No comments:

Post a Comment