Tuesday Inspiration: Carrara Marble



Drummonds. UK
When it comes to marble, Carrara is definitely my favorite choice.
Whether it is for the bathroom or kitchen, I love the simple and clean aesthetic look that white marble lends.


Drummonds, UK
Contractors have been discouraging homeowners from using Carrara forever because it stains and scratches easily and generally is not a good application. My answer? So...?


Drummonds, UK
Have they ever been to Italy? Have they seen marble stairs there that are hundreds of years old?
Have they been to our local Il Fornaio restaurant with a marble counter at the bar?
Scratches and stains add to the patina!


I say, "throw caution to the wind," and go for it!
If you are trying to decide whether to use Carrara in the bathroom or kitchen, here are a few photos from my inspiration archives to help you decide:


Plastolux


The ultimate luxury: a marble soaking tub!




No need for a shower curtain here!




2009 Showcase Home on Park Alley traditional kitchen
And finally, a kitchen counter that is absolutely amazing! I am loving all the grey veining in this slab.


Carrara marble comes from Carrara, Italy, a town in Tuscany that I have passed by twice while on our way to Cinque Terra. I wish we would have stopped to see this town that is rich in history with the marble mountains looming above.


This is where the chunk of marble came from that became Michaelangelo's David.
And this is where the chunk of marble will come from that will become my bathroom counter when the time comes.


(Oh, and for the record, it is spelled Carrara, not Carrera.)
Now you know!


No comments:

Post a Comment