Before And After: A Family Room Update

 This family room gets a lot of wear and tear.  It is comfy and lived in, but in need of an update.

Since I was the design consultant for this room ten years ago, I was happy to recently take on this project to freshen it up for my clients.
The first thing we decided to do:  paint the brick fireplace and add a mantel.
 The walls are beautifully paneled in tongue and groove.  A lighter, neutral coat of paint was in order, replacing the heavy gold color.

We decided to replace the slipcovered sofa and chairs too.
They wanted comfort, but also to be able to seat more guests.
I suggested a sofa and a loveseat combination with a club chair as an accent.

The wall to wall carpeting needed updating.  I wanted them to replace it with seagrass.
See the sample on the floor?


 It's a beautiful, high quality sea grass in a taupe color.  Very soft!

Here's the new white fireplace with its new mantel.
Notice the paneling with the new off-white coat of paint?  It made the fireplace really pop!

Here's an after photo of the finished room with its new linen sofa and loveseat and a leather chair.

I suggested an animal hide rug, but was secretly envisioning a zebra rug.
To my surprise, my clients loved the idea, as long as it wasn't an actual zebra with a head and tail!
This rug is a stenciled cowhide that they found on eBay!

The floral oil painting over the sofa was replaced with a series of vintage photos depicting San Francisco.
The lamps were also updated.

I re-styled the bookcase for a more cohesive, updated look.

I have to say, I love the new look!
It's their go-to, put your feet up and be comfortable room.
Now that this room is finished, the plan is to update their living room next.
"Give a mouse a cookie....."

No comments:

Post a Comment