To Tole Or Not To Tole?

Tole
/tōl/ noun
1. enameled or lacquered metalware (usually gilded and elaborately painted); popular in the 18th century

 My love affair with tole began years ago when I found this old tole fixture at an estate sale I was working in San Francisco.
It was hanging in the breakfast room of an enormous home in Pacific Heights and came with two sconces.
I was smitten!

 There were many knock-offs at the time that just didn't cut it, until I found this tole chandelier for the dining room.  
Eventually, it was replaced by a less ornate one, but this gem still hangs in the garage with the other cast-offs.
My tole obsession began to wane as I began to feel that the look was just a little too much!

Of course it's too much!
That's the point of tole...
Intricate, painted and gilded metal flowers and leaves creating a work of art.

Your opinion please.
To tole or not to tole?
That is the question!

No comments:

Post a Comment