The Perfect Cup


"A cup of coffee, real coffee, home-browned, home ground, home made, that comes to you dark as a hazel-eye, 


but changes to a golden bronze as you temper it with cream that never cheated, but was real cream from its birth, thick, tenderly yellow, perfectly sweet, neither lumpy nor frothing on the Java. 


Such a cup of coffee is a match for twenty blue devils and will exorcise them all."
~Henry Ward Beecher


Do you feel that way about coffee?
This past holiday vacation, Mr. A was obsessed with finding the perfect cup of coffee.
Apparently, my coffee wasn't cutting it!


 He thought that my old fashioned way of making a pot of coffee in the coffee maker wasn't producing the results that he was looking for.
I was reminded of the Folger's coffee commercials from the 50's where the wife just doesn't know how to make a good cup of coffee!

My favorite blend, Peet's Major Dickason's just wasn't rich enough he said.
Funny, it says it's rich, complex and full bodied on the bag...

I can understand his quest.  I too love a good cup of coffee.
I even have a coffee bar set up on valuable counter real estate dedicated just for coffee making.

 So for days, he experimented with various drip methods and various coffees from Starbucks, Peets, Blue Bottle, etc.

Eventually, he found that freshly roasted beans, (Peet's JR Reserve), ground for each cup and using the drip method with a Melitta coffee filter is the perfect cup.
For him.


My perfect cup:
Already ground Major Dickason's from Peet's (I abhor that coffee grinder sound in the morning) which is made the night before in the coffee maker to produce a pot of coffee that is rich, complex and full-bodied, just waiting for me in the morning.
Add a healthy pour of Half and Half and I'm a happy girl!


Just for fun, a 1950's coffee commercial.
Seriously, instant coffee? Ugh! 

What's your perfect cup?

No comments:

Post a Comment