Soup's On!

 I am hereby declaring January to be soup month at our house!
It's cold outside and there is nothing I like more than a pot of soup on the stove to warm up with.
Especially after all the overeating during the December holidays, soup seems like a healthy alternative and welcome respite this month.

It just so happens that Santa brought us a slow cooker for Christmas.
Uh, make that last Christmas!
I decided it's time to learn how to use this thing!

A new cookbook would be our inspiration to get started.
We decided to begin the New Year with Chicken-Tortilla Soup.

Talk about easy.
Onions, jalapeño pepper, garlic and tomato puree in a blender.  Add chicken thighs, chicken broth and cook for 5 hours.  Shred the chicken, add corn and cook another half hour.  The soup was too thin, so I added a can of drained black beans, and tortilla strips to the soup to punch it up a bit.

We garnished the soup with cilantro, avocado and lined the bowl with tortilla chips.
Delicious, and perfect for New Year's Day!
Recipe as follows:

I'm so not a cook, but I can make a mean pot of soup.
The problem is that my repertoire is slim.  I know how to make chicken soup, lentil soup and split pea soup, and that's about it. 
Do you have a favorite soup recipe that is simple and delicious?  
Please send it my way, as I need all the help I can get for "January Soup Month!"
I'm joining Alison at The Polohouse for Favorites on the First.

No comments:

Post a Comment