Antiquing In New Orleans: Lucullus

 The first antique store on my New Orleans "must see" list was Lucullus, the quintessential store for all things pertaining to the epicurean arts.


A beautiful tablescape greeted us as soon as we walked in.
Such an elegant table setting with vintage china, silver, crystal and monogrammed napkins.

Yet another tablescape with lovely silverware.
I thought I had died and gone to heaven!

But Lucullus is more than "The Tablescape," it's also about the preparation and serving of food.
This is Patrick Dunne's store, the expert in culinary antiques, and he actually believes that meals taste better when prepared with old things!

Patrick Dunne says, "Like all history, the story of how we eat is really just another part of the long tale about being human, one necessarily full of vast communications and contradictions."

"The use and reuse of old things can be functional as well as beautiful."

I couldn't agree more.
As I took it all in, I realized how important and primal to the human spirit the art of preparing food and dining with loved ones is.

Exemplified by a table of white ironstone soup tureens, all with a special history of their own.
I could only imagine the banquets and dinner parties they must have been a part of!

Lucullus is located in the heart of the French Quarter in an early 19th century building...

...with a beautiful and charming original courtyard.
Very New Orleans!

I've been wanting to visit Lucullus since I first wrote about it, Patrick Dunne and his book, back in August, 2011.  You can read it here.
His book, The Epicurean Collector can be ordered here.

This was the first of many antique stores that we visited the first day.
I soon realized that we need more time here.
Two and a half days is simply not enough time.

A huge thank you to those who sent me their New Orleans recommendations.
They were much appreciated, and we really tried to do it all.
I have to say, I fell in love with New Orleans!  

No comments:

Post a Comment