2013 Design Trend: Lace

As a hopeless romantic, I've had a love affair with lace for most of my adult life.
Lace curtains, lace tablecloths, lace embellished hand towels--at one time or another, I've had lace incorporated in to my decor.
Not so much now though.

Vincent Wolf
Elle Decor recently named lace as a design trend to watch for in 2013.
They said, "Your grandmother's tablecloth is now hip."

Valentino

At first I was surprised, but then it occurred to me that lace has been showing up in the fashion world a lot lately.

Balenciaga


Except for a few lace edged antique linen hand towels, our home doesn't have a bit of lace anymore, however my closet is full of it!


I love wearing black lace tops with jeans, or a black lace dress with boots, like I did when our daughter got married. She even paired a lace dress with a leather belt for her wedding.

That's the thing about lace, it looks best when paired with something rustic!


This rustic kitchen is made ever so romantic with the lace curtain in the background.


Just a touch of lace juxtaposed with rustic linen or burlap makes my heart skip a beat!


When I think of lace, I think "romantic..."
Leave it to Coco Chanel however to sum up her love of lace:

"I consider lace to be one of the prettiest imitations ever made of the fantasy of nature;
lace always evokes for me those incomparable designs which the branches and leaves of trees embroider across the sky, and I do not think that any invention of the human spirit
could have a more graceful or precise origin."
~Coco Chanel
April 29, 1939

Lace is one design trend I'm looking forward to seeing more of in 2013!
How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment