The Everyday Holiday Centerpiece

 A reader of vignette design asked me what do I usually put on the dining room table for every day during the holidays:
"I have a question.... what do you put on your dining table and/or kitchen table during Xmas? I don't mean "tablescaping" for a party/dinner, but what sits on your dining table that says "Xmas" all the other days? I am in a dilemma! Have gotten rid of some old Xmas decor so right now my dining table has nothing Christmas-y. I've been looking through Pinterest for ideas, but mainly see tablescapes for dinners..... Thoughts?" ~Sheila

As you can see, there aren't any Christmas themed decorations here. 

The red paisley tablecloth merely hints at Christmas.
Poinsettias, the no-brainer, hard working Christmas flower that lasts all season, is my choice for the faux wicker container.
Eventually, I'll add some fir and magnolia branches to the table as Christmas approaches.

 In our breakfast area, I grouped different containers that hold herbs, succulents, narcissus and fruits for an eclectic, organic look on a vintage grain sack table runner.

The three tiered wooden stand was a recent purchase from OKL.
Oh, I'm going to have fun with this throughout the year!

An everyday holiday centerpiece doesn't have to be floral.
I used pinecone candles on top of a cake stand for a centerpiece a few Christmases ago.
When it came time to "tablescape," I just added mercury glass votives and some leaves from the garden.

And last, but not least, my friend created a lovely table with red roses.
She floated cranberries and green apples inside the vases for a lovely effect.
Adding fir branches all the way down the table with votive candles interspersed completes the look.

The grocery store is a great place to gather your centerpiece materials.
Think roses, seasonal greens and potted poinsettias from the floral department.
Fill in with apples, cranberries or oranges from the produce department.
Use natural greens gathered from outside like pinecones or fir branches for a runner.
And remember, the Christmas tree lot has lots of branches on the ground--for free!

No comments:

Post a Comment