Moonrise Kingdom, A Plaid Lover's Delight

Have you seen Moonrise Kingdom?
It's an adorable movie about young love set in 1965 on a fictitious island.
Within the first ten minutes of the movie, I lost count of plaid sitings.
Beginning with the tartan plaid stairs!

When 12 year old Sam decides to leave his troop and run away with 12 year old Susie, the first to discover his absence was Scout Master Ward and the rest of the campers.
 As the tent was unzipped, I was amazed that the whole inside was lined in plaid, including his plaid sleeping bag!
"Jiminy Cricket, he flew the coop!"

A close up of the note Sam left for Scout Master Ward.
Love the ticking and plaid!

Here is Scout Master Ward dictating inside his plaid lined tent, wearing a plaid robe.
Notice the elk paint by number.  

Of course we all know that tents don't exist with plaid lining.  Only in the mind of the director, Wes Anderson and the production designer, Adam Stockhausen.
It was all part of the nostalgia invoked in this movie.

Here's Susie's reading nook. 
Love the plaid lunch box!  I have the same one!
Oh, and I had those very same shoes back in the early 60's.  I think they were called saddle shoes!

Another interior tent shot.
The set design is amazing, with such attention to detail harking back to a simpler time when we listened to records on record players, read library books and made phone calls with rotary phones.
It was quite nostalgic for me!


The director, Wes Anderson inside the tent. 
If I could, I would love to ask him if he is obsessed with plaid as much as I am.
I've noticed several photos of him in plaid shirts or a plaid scarf, so I would imagine he is.

Here is the official trailer to whet your whistle.
Check it out!



No comments:

Post a Comment